In this article I am going to talk about how to prioritize multiple tasks in your online business. What you will need while reading this article:
- open your calendar or your scheduling software
Setting Up Your Work Environment
You need to build some habits which are related to your online business. This routine will help you do things like automatically.
How to prioritize multiple tasks
Identify a time in your day and try to implement a task in your daily routine. I find that the mornings are the best time to be productive. I got this great quote:
“Productivity is useless unless you have a goal in mind”
You have your work environment in your job, well because the business world has set up that environment for you to be productive. Now think about your online business environment as a factory. Ask yourself: “Do you have a space you can work for your online business?” If you have one, make sure that you let your family know that that is your space. It should be respected for that. If you have the opportunity to have your own space, if you can get an office better, make it your working environment.
If the bathroom is the place where you can work, then so be it, who cares. The important thing is that you will not get distracted. If it is a shared space, find a time when you get to have your time in that place and no one bugs you.
Once you have your space, determine which your best creative time is. Base this on when no one else is there and there is a quite time. See if you can find a time in your week when it’s a quite time and your best creative time. If you can’t find a time when you will have both, then I would choose the quietest time. Once you have established your place and time, let others know that this is your business time and have them respect it. You can call it hobby time, quite time. You need to have that time, whatever you want to call it. If you can, make it consistent. They will respect you in the long run.
Keep your physical space clean. I think I work better in a clean environment and organised one. When you are in a space which is not organized your blood pressure rises and you don’t work well in this condition. Make sure your chair is comfortable. Just make sure you have a comfy chair. Get ear plugs. You might not use them all the time, but they are necessary sometimes.
And have a small snack ready at hand. It’s better to have a ready snack then get up and prepare one when you feel hungry.
I like my environment very simple. It will depend on your preferences.
How to Get More Done in Less Time
You will actually be surprised how much time is wasted in between tasks. It’s really important that you learn how to optimize your time. Once you have determined a time for working on your online business, you have to use it as efficiently as possible. You need to think: which is the most consistent thing that you work on your site? It could be writing content, SEO, finding keywords. The one I think is more consistent is writing content, because content is the most important thing on your site. It’s better to have 100 articles instead of having just 5 article that you spent so much time writing.
Which of those tasks are quick? Social media, researching keywords for ideas are some examples of quick tasks. What I want you to do now is to post something in your social media. All you have to do is to post one of your new articles and write something like “what do you think about this new article, I just wrote it now”
How easy is that? Just to go to your social media accounts and say: “here’s a link to my new article”. Being productive is all about organization. That was really so easy, that one little thing that you did took you less than one minute. Every time you do a social media post, that post has its unique url and it can be indexed in the search engines. If you can find five little things that can be done very quickly and do them, think about how productive your business could be. Maybe do another social media post on a different social media.
Here are some other productivity tips:
- Stop checking your email so often. What I recommend is maybe check your email twice a day. Let’s way you get 10 emails within an hour. Think about how much time you are going to spend, stopping what you are doing and replying to that email. The same thing applies to social media notifications. Are you guys checking these social media posts? Stop doing.
- The average time that the average Facebook user spends on Facebook per month is 15 hours and 33 minutes. Make a choice: either go to Facebook and spend 15 hours and 33 minutes or spend that time for your online business.
- Write down all the things you are going to do one day before. For example, research for keywords, research for a topic. Another thing is that you should start working with a routine end end it with a routine. Get one of those start and end routines which know work very well.
How to Prioritize Tasks in Order of Importance
I cannot make this task prioritization for you because we all have different schedules. I am going to talk about what are the most important tasks for your online business. So, as I said you want to start and end with small tasks. Determine what are some small things you can do for your business. Take a look at your sitemap and make sure there are not errors there. Go to you Google Analytics look at traffic, see if there is one piece of content which seems to be doing better than the others. Do some keyword research.
Make these small things entry points to your day. As your day progresses get into the large chugs of stuff. Once you get at your chug stuff then go back to doing small things. The first thing is to determine how much time you will dedicate to your online business. Then determine how much time each task takes.
So, lets use an example, let’s say you have only 1 hour a day to work:
- social media takes 15 minutes. This involves only sharing your post and engaging. The most effective social media: I use Google +, Reddit now and then, Twitter is ok, I personally don’t use it often. Here’s a tool to manage multiple social media accounts: HotSuite.com
- Keyword research 30 minutes
- Topic research, getting pictures, find a video and take notes on your topic – 30 minutes
- Write the article – 60 minutes
You would be able to write three articles every week if you would commit to your time schedule and you’ll have some time left over.
Put all the start that you will do on your calendar. That’s basically how it works. Also do a weekly calendar of the things that you are going to do.
Super Efficient Writing Tips
- I don’t know how you do your research but when I do research I write my notes down. So, use a pen and paper when you do research. Write in bullet points.
- Write your content write away and then edit it later. Write your content right away when you feel inspiration. You would be surprised how effective is this when it comes to writing articles. After you wrote your content, take a break from the computer. Come back to it refreshed and do your editing. Don’t be jugmental on yourself.
- Don’t worry about the number of words when you are writing.
- Don’t worry about the form of the content your are writing. Just focus on delivering the messaging. Keep in mind who you are writing for. You are writing for the people who are going to read your content. Just focus on the reader.
Conclusion and Some Additional Tips
Take frequent breaks. I use the Pomodoro Technique for this reason.
Don’t multitask. At least not when you are writing content. You can have some music or the radio in the background when you when you are Twitting content.
You can manage everything with a website and a schedule. Or you can have someone who will do some tasks for you.
Try to eliminate distractions as much as possible when you are working like cell phone, television, maybe move your desk in a different position.
Find and determine what works well for you. The great thing about productivity is that there is a lot of content on this topic, but at the end of the day you have to determine what works for you.
How much time do I spend for creating YouTube videos:
30 minutes every day, I research the topic and 2 hours before making the video I put everything together and finish the power point (I usually make videos with a power point)
That’s all for this post, if you have any question or comment, please leave your comment below.
I wish you success,